Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Miracle Myx Goes Green

.
"People are going to think this is about the environment, Dave," Myx said.

"Instead, it's about our Celts 'cleaning up' with another championship!"

The Boston Celtics had just won their 17th NBA championship, and I thought it appropriate to celebrate.

"Please don't tell me this is going to make you tell your Larry Bird story," Myx said.

"It was 1981, and the Celtics had just beat the Houston Rockets ..."

"Oh God--no!" Myx said.

"... and my friend Bob and I were working at the Prudential Center in Boston on the day of the big parade. We snuck out of work and walked down to where the parade was going to start--at some hotel. The streets were packed, so I said to Bob--"

"Let's go in this side door of the hotel," Myx interrupted. "How many times do I have to hear this, Dave?"

"So we go in the door," I said, "and there's the whole Celtic team waiting to go out to the duckboats parked in front for the parade. Bob and I shook all their hands and congratulated them. If you've never been around immensely tall basketball players, let me tell you, you feel like--"

"... you're 10 years old. We get it, Dave."

I wasn't going to let Myx ruin my recollections, so I continued.

"The time came for the Celtics to make their way to the vehicles, and they filed out, one-by-one, to the thunderous applause of the crowd. Larry Bird was last--followed by me! Then the NBA Championship trophy was handed person-to-person along until I handed it to Larry Bird atop the duckboat. He reached down and then stood up with it at his waist--"

"The crowd went silent," Myx said.

"The crowd went silent," I repeated, "and then Larry held the trophy over his head--and the crowd erupted in the loudest cheer I've ever heard. I suddenly realized that tears were streaming down my face from the sheer joy and awe of the moment. I looked around and saw I wasn't the only one!"

"The end," Myx said in a bored voice.

"What did you think of that, Myx?"

"Now I have tears in my eyes," Myx answered.

Cry out for Myx's book trailer!

Read Myx for YOURSELF!

DaveWritesBooks.com

No comments: